10th Annual Best Student Research Paper Competition
2018 Finalists Announced
Congratulations to the five finalists who have been chosen to present their papers in the 10th annual Best Student Research Paper Competition. These students will travel to London, U.K., to compete at the Cereals and Grains 18 meeting October 21–23.
The competition challenges students to demonstrate their superior presentation skills, offering an opportunity for students to present their research and interact with the AACCI community at an early stage in their careers. Following are the finalists and the papers they will be presenting:
- Anke Böeswetter, Leibniz-Institute for Food Systems Biology at the Technical University of Munich: “Comparative Studies on the Aroma of Gluten-free Rice and Gluten-Containing Wheat Bread”
- Sabina Jakobi, Technical University of Munich, Institute of Brewing and Beverage Technology, Research Group Cereal Technology and Process Engineering: “Physical Modification of Cereal Biopolymers During Grinding—Suitable Method for Decoding Structure-Function Relationships of Wheat Based Matrices”
- Emma Jobson, Department of Plant Sciences, Montana State University: “The Impact of Rht-1 Semi-Dwarfing Alleles on End Use Quality in Wheat”
- Ana Maria Magallanes Lopez, North Dakota State University, Department of Plant Sciences, Cereal Science Graduate Program: “Value-Adding Strategies for Deoxynivalenol Contaminated Grain: Characterization of Wet-Milling Fractions”
- Leigh Schmidt, Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Department of Food Science, Purdue University: “Developing Phenolic-Mediated Stable Protein Matrices in Cereal Grains for Potential Control of Starch Digestion”
Plan to support these students when you attend Cereals and Grains 18!
In January, Briess Malt & Ingredient Co. welcomed Greg Niemann as vice president of sales and marketing. Greg is responsible for leading the Briess Sales and Marketing teams, developing new business relationships, and creating malt and ingredient solutions to meet customer needs. Greg holds a B.S. degree in business administration and management from the University of Wisconsin and has more than 35 years of experience leading sales, marketing, and cross-functional teams across many food channels, including retail, ingredients, comanufacturing, and private label brands in U.S. and international markets.
Bresciani, A., University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Butt, T., R&D manager, Smucker Foods of Canada, Markham, ON, Canada
Cardone, G., University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Cork, S., Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia
Gómez, B., biochemistry, Latitud, Montevideo, Uruguay
Hite, S., food scientist, Dawn Food Products, Jackson, MI, U.S.A.
Jeganathan, B., graduate research assistant, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Lee, B.-H., Gachon University, Seongnam, South Korea
Nakhchian, H., graduate student, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Schneider, A. A., student, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Suárez Estrella, D. P., University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Terron, G., Lancaster, NY, U.S.A.
Toutounji, Mi., Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia
Watanabe, A., assistant manager, Nisshin Flour Milling Inc., Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Williams, G. M., University of Wollongong, North Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Zhong, Y., St. Paul, MN, U.S.A.
Zhu, L., Decatur, IL, U.S.A.